Mom thinks her young son got stung by a wasp – then his body turns blue

    4820

    While playing outside with her little boy, a mother came to believe that her son had been stung by a wasp.

    But after closer observation, she frantically called for help after she discovered that her baby’s body was turning blue.

    For Elisabeth Nordgarden, her rambunctious three-year-old son Kristoffer was like many children his age.

    The confident little boy loved to explore the outdoors and play without a care in the world.

    Unfortunately, Elisabeth, like many parents, didn’t realize the hidden dangers lurking in even the most idyllic outdoor environments.

    On one warm day, as Kristoffer played outside, his mother learned this lesson the hard way.

    Sadly, the little boy paid a painful price for her lesson and experienced firsthand the dangers of being barefoot outdoors.

    Of course, many of the dangers associated with walking around barefoot outdoors has to do with stepping on sharp objects.

    And then there are of course the most common types of dangers such as being stung by a wasp or bee.

    So when Elisabeth saw little Kristoffer running toward her with tears streaming down his little red face, she didn’t believe it could be anything too serious at first.

    Elisabeth never imagined that seemingly innocent scene, which she’d probably seen hundreds of times before, would lead to a life-threatening ordeal for her baby boy.

    While she and her other boys were visiting family, Elisabeth recalled to NRK how the events of that day turned her world upside down.

    “Then, Kristoffer began to cry a little and climbed onto my lap. We thought he had been stung by a wasp or scratched himself on a branch,” she explained.

    However, the real cause of little Kristoffer’s distress was something much more sinister than a wasp sting.

    Fifteen minutes after her sobbing son crawled into her lap, his foot began to swell and turn blue. It was then the young mother quickly called for emergency services.

    “The ambulance and helicopter arrived quickly. They kept saying it was a viper snake bite, and we were transported to the hospital, ” Elisabeth relayed.

    Kristoffer was immediately administered antivenom and began to show improvement right away.

    However, he suddenly took a turn for the worse.

    The child started to bleed internally from his intestines, and the bruising around his ankle quickly began to spread across the rest of his body, practically turning the child completely blue.

    Doctors discovered after measuring Kristoffer’s blood volume that it was roughly half of what it should have been.

    The child had also begun to lose weight, going from 44 pounds to 33 quickly.

    Elisabeth’s son was now in the fight of his life.

    It took nearly two weeks of hospitalization, but miraculously, Kristoffer became well enough to go home.

    As for Elisabeth, she wanted to spread a message of warning to all parents, emphasizing how important it is to protect their children from the danger of snake bites.

    “I have much more respect for vipers now, and I will ensure that my kids wear boots when they go out into areas with high grass in the future,” she said.

    While they may not offer 100 percent protection, boots can provide at least some protection from snake bites.

    Unfortunately, stories such as this are all too familiar around the world, and many children don’t survive this experience.

    According to the World Health Organization (WHO), children often suffer more severe effects from snake bites than adults due to their smaller mass.

    Thankfully, for little Kristoffer and his mom Elisabeth, this story has a happy ending.

     

    <