A family from New Boston, Texas is grieving the sudden and tragic loss of their 10-year-old daughter after she was electrocuted on July 7th. Greenlee Marie died while attempting to rescue kittens from behind her family’s clothes dryer.
Her mother, Shelby Roos, posted this precious tribute to her little girl on Facebook. “With the heaviest of hearts I want to tell y’all our Greenlee was tragically taken from us Sat [sic] night,” Roos wrote alongside a photo of her daughter sticking out her tongue which was blue.
“She was such a light in this world, and everyone she ever met couldn’t help but fall in love with her. She had more compassion for everything living at ten years old than most will have in a lifetime,” she continued. “Please pray for us.
“I ask everyone please continue to respect our privacy in not posing details. I will update everyone as soon as I have more info,” Roos continued. “Please hug all your babies tight because tomorrow is truly never promised. And take peace in the fact that she is in heaven getting love from all the animals she loved with her whole heart.”
Greenlee’s family has set up a GoFundMe page to collect donations for helpless animals an to honor her memory.
“At just ten years of age, she had such a compassionate heart, not just for people but orphaned and injured animals as well,” the page reads.
“At the wishes of her beloved parents, fundraising in Greenlee’s memory are being made available to all who knew her and loved her in our community,” it continued. “Her whole life she had enjoyed helping those less fortunate than herself and had always planned when she was older to become a veterinarian and to help rescue more animals.
“So in honor of Greenlee we are asking that any donations be made, in lieu of flowers, cards, etc., her family would like to be able to collect funds to continue Greenlee’s passion of helping animals in our community. Please help us in honoring her memory by being her voice for the voiceless.”
Roos told KSLA-TV her daughter “loved her babies,” referring to the kittens Greenlee was trying to rescue.
“And she would do anything for them. I know she is up there right now with all of her babies,” Roos added.
Interim New Boston Police Chief, Gary McGrary said that it was “too early right now to start placing blame and responsibility.”
Greenlee’s family has previously complained about the electrical wiring in their home. It is currently being investigated. The child’s body was sent to Dallas for an autopsy.
What a terrible, senseless loss. I hope keeping Greenlee’s memory alive will help her family. Nothing can bring her back, but raising money in her name for a cause dear to her heart will keep that passion she had alive.